East Lake Foundation > Cradle-to-College Education > Charles R. Drew Charter School
Our students are engaged in Project Based Learning beginning as early as kindergarten, where they’re learning how to think critically and how to solve real problems in the real world.
Director of Project-Based Learning, Drew Charter School
Get Email Updates
Drew’s innovative Project-Based Learning approach, with an integration of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) curriculum and a strong foundation in literacy, helps all students reach their highest potential. Drew represents the cradle-to-college pipeline in the East Lake community, and is an integral part of the holistic neighborhood revitalization led by the East Lake Foundation. Through the work of Purpose Built Schools and Purpose Built Communities, the Drew model is now being replicated in communities across the country.
Drew is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential. A Drew education is one that supports strong intellectual, physical, social, and emotional growth. Core elements of the Drew approach include:
- Innovative Curriculum (with a STEAM Focus)
- Early Education and a Foundation of Literacy
- College and Career Readiness
- Enrichment Activities
- Extended Day, Extended Year
- R.I.S.E. After School Program
- Elementary Academic Centers
Before Drew Charter opened its doors in 2000, only 5 percent of area 5th graders were able to meet state math standards, and neighborhood schools were among the lowest performing schools in the city and the state. Today, there is a marked difference in achievement:
- Drew’s academic achievements are among the best in the city
- Students at Drew are outpacing their peers across the state
- 100 % of Drew’s inaugural senior class graduated on time and were accepted to college
- 98 percent of students in grades 3 – 8 meet or exceed state math standards
- 99 percent meet or exceed the standards for reading
View Full Gallery
For more information, please visit:
- Visit Drew Charter’s website for more information.
- Download Drew’s latest Annual Report .
- Find out more about Drew’s College and Career Readiness program .
- Learn more about Drew’s Innovative Curriculum .
- Get all of the information you need to enroll including lottery results, checklists, and re-enrollment information. Visit Drew’s website for details.
East Lake Foundation
Who We Are
- About Drew
- History, Mission, & Philosophy
- Board of Directors
- School Directory
History, Mission & Philosophy
Drew Charter School was formed by a pioneering partnership that included parents, representatives of the Atlanta Board of Education and the East Lake Foundation. Since opening in 2000 as Atlanta Public Schools’ first charter school, Drew has proven its innovative approach to education works. Drew Charter School serves the children and families of the East Lake and Kirkwood communities in southeastern Atlanta along with other students from the City of Atlanta and the children of full time staff and members of the Drew Charter School, Inc. Board of Directors. Drew is an essential component of a community-wide initiative that helps families break the intergenerational cycle of poverty. Drew is proud to be a mixed-income school, serving families across diverse socioeconomic groups. Drew’s commitment to academic achievement, character development and enrichment opportunities helps all students reach their potential.
Drew is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Drew Charter School’s approach is based on the belief that every child has gifts and talents that must be discovered and nurtured. All students are consistently encouraged to strive to do their best so they may reach their highest potential. A Drew education is one that supports strong intellectual, physical, social, and emotional growth.